Fraunhofer USA, Inc., located on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan, is seeking a highly motivated, reliable and technically competent individual to join our team as a Project Engineer. Participating as a Project Engineer you will play an integral part in advancing our novel synthetic diamond materials for a broad variety of markets including energy and quantum. Our current program focuses on the advancement of diamond materials for optical, electronic and quantum applications. Additionally, we interact with and supply a wide variety of diamond materials to academia and industry.
This is a salaried entry-level position offering benefits including health and dental insurance, paid vacation, life insurance and pension plan.
The business core hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with an average working week of 40 hours. Project dependent work hours may be shifted outside of the core working hours.
- Be a member of a highly skilled and interdisciplinary team advancing diamond growth and fabrication processes.
- Executing engineering projects in areas related to diamond fabrication including laser cutting, and polishing; and diamond growth via chemical vapor deposition.
- Technical report writing on results of assigned engineering projects.
- Maintenance and conditioning of diamond fabrication and growth systems and other laboratory equipment.
- Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program (ISO9001) requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. required in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Physics or related engineering or science field.
- Prior experience in a research setting (i.e. university research projects), or a working knowledge of materials science, crystallography, or chemical vapor deposition.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent ability to independently identify, develop and implement scientific solutions to practical problems.
- Motivated self-starter with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently, collaboratively and effectively across different functions.
- Able to set priorities and adapt to changing needs as well as the proven ability to function well in a fast-paced environment.
- Establish and maintain a safe laboratory environment and work practices.
- Able to work in an interdisciplinary, diverse and international team.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Technical and working knowledge of polishing and lapping equipment is strongly desired. Additional knowledge of crystalline structures and orientations is preferred.
- Prior experience with material characterization, such as XRD, AFM, SEM, Raman is strongly desired.
- Ability to work in compliance with ISO-certified QMS system.
This position will require occasional heavy lifting (40 lbs.) of machine parts.
Fraunhofer USA is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is a federal contractor.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.