Director-Legal Affairs and Contracts
7 October 2019
The Director – Legal Affairs and Contracts will provide in-house counsel and legal services, support the development, negotiation and implementation of industry and government funded research and development contracts, and manage the intellectual property portfolio of Fraunhofer USA.
The Director will provide, implement, and monitor legal compliance and best practices with regard to corporate legal obligations including customer contracts, employment contracts and other legal documents and agreements of all types. This position will also occasionally work with outside counsel on an as needed basis. She/he should be able to work in a non-profit Research and Development environment and navigate through corporate legal issues by bringing legal knowledge and wisdom to the organization, while adhering to company policy and maintaining compliance.
The Director will work with Fraunhofer USA Center Directors on the development, negotiation and implementation of all industry and government funded research and development programs and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. She/he will be supported by a grants and contracts administrator throughout the pre-award phase of federal contracts. The position will also be responsible for managing Fraunhofer USA’s IP portfolio including the handling of invention disclosures, patent applications, engaging and working with external IP lawyers and licensing negotiations.
The ideal candidate has worked in a contract research environment (e.g. negotiation of contracts between universities and industry partners) and brings a strong legal and negotiation background. The person needs to be a team player and excellent communicator to be able to work with scientist and engineers, accounting and human resources professionals.
- Lead the legal aspects of all contract negotiations with industry, government and university partners
- Review, draft, redline, negotiate and approve for execution, contracts with customers, partners, vendors and employees
- Develop and recommend improvements for standard contractual documents, templates and clause libraries
- Evaluate and understand applicable laws and regulations to develop analysis and solutions to potential legal risks
- Perform legal analyses and make recommendation on legal, contractual, risk and compliance issues
- Assist with other legal and risk management matters as requested, including with respect to corporate governance, joint venture, employment and litigation matters
- Manage the company's IP portfolio
Qualifications / Requirements:
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school required
- Admission to practice and active member in good standing required
- Ability to understand and implement state specific legal requirements
- 10+ years of experience, including dealing with business legal matters including contract development.
- Solid understanding of corporate business operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and superior verbal/written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong negotiation expertise
- Experience with and ability to anticipate and balance needs of multiple stakeholders
- Strong drive for results and exceeding goals even under pressure
- Ability to work accurately in fast-paced environment
- Availability for occasional domestic and possibly international travel
- Prior experience at a small to mid-sized law firm or in-house legal department preferred
Fraunhofer USA is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is a federal contractor.