Research Assistant - Microbiologist
Fraunhofer USA Center for Molecular Biotechnology CMB – Newark, DE
Location: Newark, Delaware
We are seeking a Microbiology Research Assistant to join our Microbiology Discovery Team. The successful candidate will apply knowledge of microbiology to isolate and cultivate a broad variety of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, and characterize their molecular, morphological, physiological and molecular characteristics. In addition, he/she will be expected to maintain and preserve CMB’s sample collection and have a general knowledge of microscopy, molecular methods, and taxonomic identification and phylogenetic analysis.
· Collect, isolate, identify and maintain anaerobic and aerobic microorganisms from environmental samples.
· Maintain cultures for screening and isolation.
· Develop methods and apply them for identification of antimicrobial and/or enzymatic activity
· BS or MS degree in microbiology
· Relevant experience in industry or academia would be an advantage
The ideal candidate would possess:
- Strong computer, scientific, and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and attention to detail
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and a familiarity with databases (such as NCBI).
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with safety policies
- Knowledge of programming language (Java, Python or R) would be a plus.
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities, protected veterans and is a federal contractor.
For more information please contact: HR(at)fraunhofer.org or CLICK HERE