Research Associate (Structural/Organic Chemist)
A position is open at Fraunhofer USA’s Center for Molecular Biotechnology CMB for an experienced and highly motivated Research Associate with expertise in structure determination of small molecule antimicrobials derived from natural sources. The candidate should have experience in isolating natural products and determining their structures using mass spectroscopy (MS) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).
This position will focus on the characterization of small molecules (peptides and secondary metabolites) isolated from natural sources to support drug discovery. Essential roles, responsibilities and activities will include:
Development of methods for the characterization of complex natural products produced by bacteria using liquid chromatography / mass spectrometry (LC/MS) and LC/MS/MS.
Development of methods for extraction, isolation and purification of natural products from bacterial cultures using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
Design and synthesis of natural product analogues with improved biological profile.
· Master's Degree or equivalent experience in synthetic or medicinal chemistry or a closely related field.
· Experience with natural product characterization by MS and NMR and capability to interpret data generated by these methods.
· 3+ years of experience in chemical lead optimization leading to improved biological properties, stability, ADME and PK, preferentially in an industrial setting.
· Ability to complete tasks under tight deadlines and to work closely with a cross-functional team.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Fraunhofer USA is a not-for-profit charitable organization dedicated to the advancement of applied research and is an equal opportunity employer. Fraunhofer CMB is located in the Delaware Technology Park nearby the University of Delaware and is focused on the development of therapeutics and prophylactics. We offer a competitive compensation package, including comprehensive health coverage and other benefits.
Fraunhofer USA is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is a federal contractor.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Education:Master's Degree or equivalent experience
- Required work authorization: United States
or apply to
Jerzy Karczewski firstname.lastname@example.org
Fraunhofer USA Center for Molecular Biotechnology CMB
9 Innovation Way
Newark, De 19711